Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sunbutter Brownies, 'Take 2'

I love brownies!  Especially the Duncan Hines variety, ha ha.  But these days I've been making home made recipes with all different types of ingredients. I've tried them with amaranth flour, coconut flour, and NO flour!!!
So, enters the Flourless Brownie recipe from Kelly Brozyna at The Spunky Coconut, I had to give it a try.  (by the way, Kelly is AWESOME! Definitely check out her website.  It is a great resource for people who have allergies)
There are a couple different ways you can make these brownies and I was intrigued because one of the variations uses Sun butter. (she compared it to being almost like peanut butter/chocolate flavor).  Before reading her post, I had never heard of "Sun Butter".  Tons of people are allergic to peanuts, so using sunflower seed butter can be a replacement.  I bought a jar of this stuff and its pretty good.  I mostly like it with sliced apples, and I'm still debating whether or not I like the taste of them in the brownies. 
I've made this recipe twice.  The first time I over baked them and the sun butter flavor just really overpowered everything.  I really didn't like them.  So I cut them out with cookie cutters, made them look cute and took a picture.  I tried to eat some warmed up, but I wound up throwing most of them away :)  They were pretty though.  Below is the picture


These brownies really have a lot of potential; so I thought I'd give it another try.  I'm not sure what I was thinking, but the second time around I used a full 1/2 cup of sun butter, instead of 1/4 almond, 1/4 sun butter (I cut the recipe in half).  I didn't want to waste my expensive almond butter?? who knows.  So once again the sun butter taste really came through.  BUT, I didn't over bake them, and after they sat over night, they were pretty good.  I'm actually eating one right now!  They are not bad :) OK, actually... I sort of like them now.  So anyway, I thought I'd share my experience.  If you like the taste of Sun Flower seeds, you will love this.  This is an AWESOME recipe that is very adaptable to whatever flavors you like.  I'm going to do all almond butter next time, with mint, just as Kelly suggests and make a mint chocolate brownie.  YUM!  This is a perfect recipe for those with peanut and wheat allergies!  If you do make these,  don't over bake.  They are almost better a little UNDER done.  Just watch for the edges to be set and the middle looking just set.  they will continue to bake a little once out of the oven in the pan.


Let me know if you try them, and if you come up with a cool flavor variation let me know :)

Love and Blessings!
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment